Quick, Easy and Healthy After-School Snacks
After school snacks can be quick, easy and healthy and your kids will still love them. Try some of these:
• Fruit and Yogurt Smoothie
- Blend in fresh or unsweetened frozen fruit. Bananas that are soft are excellent after they have been peeled and froze. Throw in ice cubes, if needed, to reach the desired consistency.
- You can add a splash of yogurt, normal milk or coconut milk or 100% fruit juice, depending upon the desired flavor and consistency.
- If your adding protein powder, that is fine… watch out that all protein is not created equal and some will exacerbate skin problems. Consult a Nutritional Medicine Practitioner on which powder is right for you.
• Nuts and Seeds
- They are quick and easy to grab. They are full of essential fatty acids – balance your hormones, improve your skin, great for your brain.
- Almonds, cashews, pistachios , pumpkin seeds and virtually all seeds and nuts rock. They travel well – even can withstand being crushed by sports shoes! and fill you up when you need a quick snack. Raw is best but have them with tamari, dry roasted, or anyway … as they are better than any sugary snack.
- Walnuts look like little brains… nature is funny isn’t it?
• Fruit and Vegetables
- Make them easy to grab: If appropriate, cut, chop, or slice fresh fruit and vegetables in advance and store in the refrigerator in easily accessible containers; store grapes in a large, open bowl in the fridge; store fresh fruit in a bowl on the counter.
- Make vegetables more appealing by serving them with dip or salad dressing, or hummus.
- Fresh fruit and veggies are best - we are very lucky to have the amazing F & V that we do - eat two pieces very day in two different colours - richer the colour of food usually means more vitamins and minerals.
• Baked Tortilla Chips and Salsa
- Consider serving refried or whole beans in addition to salsa.
- If you have time, make nachos by adding extras like melted cheese, diced tomatoes, green peppers, onion, and guacamole.
• Whole Grain Crackers or Brown Rice Crackers
- Serve with natural cheese and/or lean meat. If using packaged meat, choose "natural" or "nitrite-free" varieties with minimal processing and preservatives, and those with less than 20% of the daily value for sodium.
- Spread with natural peanut butter , ABC spread ( almond, brazil, and cashew spread), or any nut spread.
- Use as a dip or spread on pieces of whole wheat (or other whole grain) tortilla, rice crackers, or vegetables sticks.
• Whole Wheat (or Other Whole Grain) Mountain Bread, Pita Breads
- Top with natural cheese and/or lean meat.
- Spread with jam, natural peanut (or other nut) butter, or plain or cream cheese.
- To add texture, toast the flat bread or put in an a pizza oven ( approx $ 90.00 & worth every cent )
- If you have time, make miniature pizzas: Toast first to prevent sogginess, then add pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings and bake briefly.
• Air-popped Popcorn
- Air-popped popcorn is the best and most tasty choice. Serve it plain or sprinkled with parmesan cheese, sea salt, or other spices.
• Unsweetened Whole Grain Cereal (look at the label for sugar content)
- Top with fresh fruit like blueberries, sliced bananas, or strawberries.
- Add dried fruit like raisins or cranberries.
All of our posts reflect our philosophy at A Healthy View www.ahealthyview.com . A whole real food perspective on food and life. Extremes do not work but clean, whole, tasty and easy food choices can create a lifetime of good habits that lead to a lean, happy, and healthy person. Contact us on our website for our next Low Sugar Lifestyle program or a nutritional consult. Article by Michele Chevalley Hedge
- A Healthy View (504)
- Breakfast Recipes (22)
- Chicken Dinner Recipes (29)
- Chilli Recipes (5)
- Christmas Recipes (14)
- Curry Recipes (8)
- Dessert Recipes (20)
- Dinner Recipes (113)
- Easter Recipes (9)
- Free Recipes (232)
- Hormone Health (16)
- Media (84)
- Mental Health (25)
- Mexican Recipes (11)
- Nutrition (190)
- Salad Recipes (9)
- Sauce & Dip Recipes (12)
- Seafood Recipes (12)
- Sleep (3)
- Soup Recipes (12)
- Snack Recipes (56)
- Sugar (13)
- Weight Loss (35)
- Workplace Wellbeing (7)
Leave a comment