Black Bean Chilli
There’s a line in a song that children love to sing: ‘Beans, beans, they’re good for your heart.’ And it’s true. The resistant starch in this zinc-packed bean won’t cause a quick rise in blood sugar levels. This phytonutrient-rich dish is high in fibre and iron.
PREPARATION TIME: 20 MINUTES COOKING TIME: 1 HOUR 40 MINUTES ♥ SERVES 4
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled if necessary, chopped
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 jalapeno chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 x 400 g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400 g tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 800 g tin diced tomatoes
- 700 g tomato passata
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- Healthy Guacamole (see page 217 in Healthy Hormone Diet Book for the best recipe) and lime wedges, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat and add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Stir well, then cook for 3–4 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the coriander, cayenne, cumin, paprika and chilli, if using, and cook for a further 1–2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the black beans, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato passata and stock and mix well.
- Pulse the sweet potato to rice-sized pieces in a food processor and add to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low–medium and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, then simmer over low heat, covered, for 45 minutes–1 hour or until cooked to your liking. (For maximum flavour, let it simmer for up to 4 hours.)
- Serve with the guacamole, lime wedges and extra coriander.
- YUM YUM!
- A Healthy View (504)
- Breakfast Recipes (22)
- Chicken Dinner Recipes (29)
- Chilli Recipes (5)
- Christmas Recipes (14)
- Curry Recipes (8)
- Dessert Recipes (20)
- Dinner Recipes (113)
- Easter Recipes (9)
- Free Recipes (232)
- Hormone Health (16)
- Media (84)
- Mental Health (25)
- Mexican Recipes (11)
- Nutrition (190)
- Salad Recipes (9)
- Sauce & Dip Recipes (12)
- Seafood Recipes (12)
- Sleep (3)
- Soup Recipes (12)
- Snack Recipes (56)
- Sugar (13)
- Weight Loss (35)
- Workplace Wellbeing (7)
Leave a comment