Eat Mindfully to Improve Digestion, Weight loss and Overall Satisfaction with Life
Do you inhale or gulp down your food without chewing? Do you feel bloated and uncomfortable after eating? How about slowing down when you eat and actually chewing, tasting and enjoying your food? Mindful eating in scientific studies has been associated with improvements in well-being, self-esteem, optimism, reduced anxiety, weight loss and an overall increased satisfaction with life. [1, 2]
8 Steps to Mindful Eating
- Start by sitting at a table, away from distractions.
- Take 3, long, slow, gentle, deep breaths, breathing deep into the abdomen and up into the top of your lungs, exhaling slowly.
- Assess on a scale of 1 to 10 how hungry you actually are.
- Slow down, as you eat, take breaks between mouthfuls, chew slower, breathe and assess fullness on a scale of 1 to 10.
- Become aware of the body's cues and use these cues to guide the decision to stop and start eating.
- Acknowledge responses to food (likes, dislikes, neutral) without judgement.
- Choose to eat food that is both pleasing and nourishing, using all of the senses while eating.
- Be aware of the effects of eating out of boredom or sadness and overeating to the point of feeling uncomfortable .
- Mathieu J. What should you know about mindful and intuitive eating? Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2009 Dec;109(12):1982-7. PubMed PMID: 19942013.
- Schaefer JT, Magnuson AB. A review of interventions that promote eating by internal cues. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2014 May;114(5):734-60. PubMed PMID: 24631111.
Article by Rhoslyn Humphreys, Naturopath, Nutritionist, Yoga & Meditation Teacher at A Healthy View
- A Healthy View (504)
- Breakfast Recipes (22)
- Chicken Dinner Recipes (29)
- Chilli Recipes (5)
- Christmas Recipes (14)
- Curry Recipes (8)
- Dessert Recipes (20)
- Dinner Recipes (113)
- Easter Recipes (9)
- Free Recipes (232)
- Hormone Health (16)
- Media (84)
- Mental Health (25)
- Mexican Recipes (11)
- Nutrition (190)
- Salad Recipes (9)
- Sauce & Dip Recipes (12)
- Seafood Recipes (12)
- Sleep (3)
- Soup Recipes (12)
- Snack Recipes (56)
- Sugar (13)
- Weight Loss (35)
- Workplace Wellbeing (7)
Leave a comment